Thursday, August 5, 2010

Run2Remember Mentors

The Run2Remember Team provides us runners with more support and coaching and assistance than one can imagine. Erica is there to answer any questions I have had and has provided me with whatever I have asked, from help getting a hotel room to graphics for posters for our yard sales.

We are also provided with mentors. This is really been invaluable to me. Here is how it works:

- Someone (I don't know who) asks a question. Then each mentor answers that question.

The latest question was:

How do you fuel? Pre, mid and post run?

What is really valuable is that I got to hear 8 responses to that one question. I love that the responses are all over the map - no mentor answered the exact same thing.

Why is that valuable to me - it really gets me to get that each body is different - what works for someone else might not work for me and the way for me to determine what works is to try different things. They have given me 8 ideas and therefore many more than 8.

This training for the marathon is about so much more than getting in my miles. I get to see what works for my body to get those miles in - what fuel I need and when, what hydration I need and when, what pre and post run stretches I need to do. Do I just do a foot ice bath or a waist down ice bath (yiker and yikers and yikers - I already squeal like a 9 year old when I plunge just my feet into ice water) and things I don't even know yet.

I will keep reminding myself that this training is also about figuring stuff out.

No comments:

Post a Comment