Monday, August 2, 2010

My Grouchy Country Guy Project

A few days back, I took on a project around a guy who is always walking his dog around the school where I start my run. He is generally there before I arrive and has gone home by the time I get back. I generally start my run by circling the driveway of the school before heading down the road. I have always "lapped" him and his dog.

I have nodded to him, I have smiled at him, I have said "good morning" to him, I have said "gorgeous morning, don't you think?" to him, I have said "We must be on the same schedule" to him. The most I have gotten has been a grunt. My project was to have him speak to me.

This morning, he was there with his dog and a young girl - teenager, actually. They were just at my car when I got out. I asked "Does it spook your dog when I run by him?" The Grouchy Country Guy looked at me, with a look with which I am familiar.

I teach ESL - I know the look that says "I have no clue what you just said and I am hoping you don't notice, so I will just smile and say "Yes." That was his look.

He said yes with no force or annoyance or apology or anything that I knew he had no idea what I said. So, I said "Is your dog okay if I run by him?"

The young girl removed her i-pod ear thingies and said "He is fine. He likes people." She then turned to the Grouchy Country Guy and spoke in some Slovic language.

He is not Grouchy Country Guy. He is Slovic Country Guy Who Doesn't Speak English.

He will still be acknowledging me before I get to the marathon.

3 miles today in 8 minute and 50 second miles.

No comments:

Post a Comment