Friday, August 27, 2010

Elder Care

I am very fortunate that I get to spend time with my parents in Florida. I have gotten to meet all of their physicians and I am known by my name at the primary care doctor. He is the guy I wanted to smack last month, but I digress.

My mom had her quarterly blood work and office visit with Dr Freshette. I am not currently in Florida, so it was just my mom and my dad at the appointment. I asked about it that evening. My dad tells me that all was good with her thyroid. I am pleased that he has that on his radar and that he still knows that the medication for that is tricky and needs to be given with nothing else - no food within 2 hours and no other pills - literally nothing - no thing.

So, then my dad says "Something weird happened. When we left they took more blood from your mother and no one said why."

I have now had enough experience to know that asking my dad questions about that will just lead to him raising his voice and we will slip into a deep hole. I also have enough experience to know that the doctor said something about something and my dad missed it.

So, I called Dr Freshette's office.

The thing that we did a while back has really saved me frustration. I went around to all of their doctor's and had HIPPA forms filed at all of their offices. My sister Michelle and I are listed as people the doctor can talk to about my parents. I strongly recommend that you have those filled with your parent's doctor's offices as well.

The doctor was concerned about her liver. She does not have hepatitis. She does need to have her liver function tested again in one month.

I call my dad and tell him all that. He was funny. He stopped listening when I assured him I was going to be with them during that next visit.

I don't know how absentee elder care people do it. If I couldn't be there for a good part of the year, I would be in emotional trouble.

On so many levels, I am a lucky girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment