Monday, August 16, 2010

The Podiatrist Visit

I have been down at Amy's all weekend, doing our second Tag Sale to raise money for Run2Remember. I didn't make to time to update my blog on all of the happenings, so there will be several posts today, covering the weekends happenings.

On my way down to Amy's, I stopped at the podiatrist's office for my appointment. I was pretty sure that the orthotics I had made to help relieve my achilles tendonitis had actually done that and cause tendonitis in the tendons on the top of my feet. It had become increasingly uncomfortable to walk after my runs.

The podiatrist thinks I am probably accurate about that. He has taken the new orthotics away from me and is sending them to have a portion of them shaved down. They had been preventing me from over-pronating and he thinks they may have prevented too much.

He wanted me to stop running for 2 weeks. I told him I had no idea how I could keep the schedule I need to keep to be able to complete the marathon at this point and take 2 weeks off. He has dealt with runners before and said something like "I can tell you to rest for 2 weeks, but you won't." I said I couldn't. He prescribed an anti-inflammatory to be taken twice a day and continue to ice 20 minutes three or more time a day. He said I should wear my old orthotics to run until the new ones come back (about 2 weeks).

I can do that.

No comments:

Post a Comment