Monday, August 16, 2010

Danger Will Robinson

Saturday night (or Sunday morning), I got up to pee at 2:06. I took one step and nearly fell sideways onto the bed. My feet would not bend. I held onto furniture and hobbled to the bathroom. I hobbled back to bed and was paralyzed with fear.

I was not going to be able to walk in a normal fashion, much less run the scheduled 3 miles on Monday. My mind started going crazy. I could not see how I could continue to train, nor did I see how I could ever finish the marathon if I didn't continue to train.

I cried and cried and cried - not because I feet hurt so badly - but because I was going to fail - I just couldn't see how to keep my promise to finish the marathon. All of this work to raise close to $12,000 for Alzheimer's research and my body was not cooperating.

After I got done having my little sissy-fit/pit party. I developed a plan.

It is clear to me that my cardio-fitness is great. It is also clear to me that my feet are not great. It is clear to me that if I keep running on my feet, I will not be able to complete anything. If my feet were in the shape they were in 6 months ago, I could walk 26.2 miles at maybe a 16 minute mile pace - maybe - but I could do it. The way my feet are right now, I could not even walk a mile.

My plan:

- Take 2 weeks off from running

- Use my elliptical on the days I am scheduled to run. Do 10 miles on the elliptical for each mile I am scheduled to run. This way, I get the cardio and I get the sense of what it is to work that hard for that long.

- Continue my anti-inflammatory pills

- Continue icing at least 3 times a day

- Get my new orthotics back

- Ask Brian/Ali (the coaches that Run2Remember provides for us) to give me a running schedule once I am back so I build up my mileage smartly and sufficiently to be able to complete the marathon.

- Allow for the possibility that I will be mostly power-walking the sucker.

- I am clear I will complete the marathon.

I also really took care of my feet on Sunday.

1 comment:

  1. Great plan, presuming you are doing 10 minutes on the elliptical per mile scheduled.

    10 miles on the elliptical per mile would be a bit ambitious. For me, anyway.

    Really great plan, because it allows for real life getting in the way of the goal. You are still on target to meet the goal.

    ReplyDelete