Saturday, August 7, 2010

My Fifth and Sixth First

Today was a 7 mile run. Given this training is about more than just getting the miles in, I decided it would be a good idea to take the Fuel Belt I purchased a few months back out for it's first run. Not that I really needed the hydration during the run, but, it can't hurt and I want to start getting used to the feel and how it works and all that.

So wearing my Fuel Belt for the entire run was my fifth first.

What I have to say about that:

1. The guy at the Westchester Road Runners Store told me that it gets worn more on the hips than on the waist, so I tried on a large and a medium and the large fit better on my hips. Not a good idea. Left on my hips the thing flops up and down. Shifting it to my waist left me with not enough velcro to have a good firm and snug fit.I will add velcro to the belt and it will be fine on my waist. Not a big deal.

2. I had 8 ounces of electrolytes at the 4 mile mark and 8 ounces when I was doing my cool down walk.

3. It will take a little practice to not hit the little bottles with my arms and I am sure it won't take long to train myself.

4. The whole Fuel Belt thingie is a good idea.

The sixth first is gross, unladylike and something that I have said I would never do.

I blew my nose into the air.

Totally gross, I know.

It was such a gorgeous morning that I did not bring a second bandana to use as a wiper or a hankie. I really like having both of my hands free on longer runs. At about 5 miles, tiny bubble started coming out of my nose. Then the bubbles got bigger and the snot started rolling down to my upper lips.

My running shirts was tucked under the Fuel Belt, it had no sleeves.

I refused to clog my nostril and blow - so I just blew.

I didn't even get any on me.

Gross enough.

7.33 miles (I keep on not estimating right) in 66 minutes for an average of 9 minutes per mile.

I also did this entire post while my feet were soaking in an ice bath.

No comments:

Post a Comment