Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Diet for Marathoners

Close to 10 years ago, Amy sorta kinda talked me into going on SugarBusters. I was petrified of my life without a bagel. I resisted this "low carb" diet and was sure I could not do it. I agreed to following the plan for 30 days and said that I got to have 1 bagel a week. I felt like an alcoholic agreeing to not drinking but saying I could have a drink a week. I know...... whatever.

So, the first week of SugarBusters I had no desire for my bagel and never did. My body started to change. Carrie came to visit and as I walked out to greet her, before even saying hello, she said "Where did your thighs go?"

Fast forward to training for the marathon. All training wisdom says to have 60% of my calories from carbs! 60 freakin' percent! Holy Cow!

I am using whole grain carbs - whole wheat pasta, steel cut oats, whole grain bread and so on.

I have fallen in love with steel cut oatmeal. Before the "Marathoner's Diet", I only ate Instant Oatmeal. I'll wait while you groan.

waiting


waiting


waiting

It blows my mind the flavor in Steel Cut Oats. It blows my mind how much more filling it is. I am satisfied for hours on one serving, while I had to eat 4 (count 'em 4) servings of Instant Oatmeal to be satisfied.

This whole training thing - not just the running - could change my life.

Woo Hoo!

No comments:

Post a Comment