Thursday, October 21, 2010

Lagrange Postmistress

My angel Heather's practice is close to the Lagrange post office. I had some things to mail so I stopped there on the way to see Heather yesterday. My local, local (as opposed to the Millbrook post office) has become a victim of cut backs and is closed from 1:00 - 2:30 each day. I used to live in Lagrange, but this is the second time I have been in the post office.

I had a box that was going to Kevin in Florida and an envelope containing a donation from Alice (she is the woman who us kids hired to be with my mom 4 hours a week) to go to The Alzheimer's Association for the R2R fund. The Postmistress was so sweet and educated me on all the things I need to know about packages. This is a woman who knows and loves her job. I paid for the package and she noticed the envelope in my hand. It already had a stamp on it.

PM - Would you like me to take that for you and postmark it for today?

Me - Sure

I slide it across the counter.

PM - Alzheimer's ! I was just talking about that (she had a conversation with the woman before me where the disease was mentioned)

Me - I am running in the NYC marathon, raising money for Alzheimer's research and education, my mom suffers from the disease. I have already raised over $13,000.

PM - Do you need more money?

This is another place I have grown. I did not answer the question she asked (there is the growth), The fact of the matter is, I do not need more money. I committed to raise $3,000, although I promised $10,000 and then raised that to $12,000, so no matter how you look at it, I did not need more money. Rather than knee jerk answer her questions, I paused and thought.

Me - That would be great

PM - This is a disease they should be able to cure. It will happen.

She reached into her pocket and had a few dollars.

PM - This is not enough, I am going to buy some stamps and get some cash to give you.

She did just that, she used her debit card to get cash and gave me a donation.

I cried. Literally. I babbled about being moved and touched by her generosity. She was so cool - she looked me right in the eyes (most people look away when I cry) and reached for my hand

PM - You are welcome.

How cool is that?

1 comment:

  1. Awesome. Every so often, people do validate our faith in their being fundamentally decent.

    ReplyDelete