Wednesday, September 1, 2010

I Am Back on the Horse

Yesterday I cried. Way back, I had a winter I cried (long story and you just mighta cried all winter too). I cried yesterday totally out of fear. I was afraid that I would never have feet that would let me train for and complete a marathon.

Then I got his from Jeff, one of the mentors from the Run2Remember Team:


Thanks for your message. Very sorry to hear about your injury; if there's anything I or the coaches can do to help, please let us know!

No worries at all on time or fitting into a group! I will be in contact with all of you regularly to make sure everything is going okay.

Be sure not to rush too much into running until you feel good about your injury ... remember that it's better to get the marathon starting line healthy vs. adding on an extra week of fitness and then injuring yourself beyond repair so you don't even get a chance to run at all!

I'm very excited that you are a part of the team! Have a great trip
to Florida and I'll talk to you soon.


After reading this, I sighed a huge sigh of relief and I had hope.

Then I got this from Bobby:

Many years ago, I was asked to support two friends who were running the JFK 50 Miler (a 50 Mile Ultramarathon). Mostly, this involved staying along side them as they ran (I was on a bike) during the race and carrying whatever supplies they needed, and making sure that they stayed on pace. Well before the race, we had worked out when they would run and at what pace, when they would take walking breaks, and how long they could stay at the numerous aid stations along
the way. It was my job to keep everything organized so that all they had to
think about was the race itself.

Early in the race, I noticed that another competitor who was walking was keeping
pace with us. We would be ahead of him but every time we stopped at an aid
station, he would pass us and we wouldn't catch-up to him until some point
between aid stations. This point got further and further as the race progressed
because while my friends were taking slightly longer breaks, and slowing down as
the day progressed (by design) the walker never broke stride. We finally passed
him for good between the last aid station and the finish, but not by much and he
was able to finish the race in about 11 hours, or about 4.5 mph.

So, I know that a reasonably fit person who is properly motivated should be able
to walk 4 miles per hour while keeping their heart rate in the 60-75% range. At
that pace, this person might eventually get muscle weary, but should never get
out of breath. Which means that a properly trained and properly motivated
person should be able to walk the 26.2 miles in the New York Marathon in about
6.5 hours, which coincidentally, is the exact amount of time that the organizers
allow before they start closing the streets (the race doesn't officially end
until 8 hours after the start and the last 3 miles or so are in Central Park, so
really, the street closings shouldn't be an issue).

So, if running is causing problems, and finishing the race is the goal, walking
should be a viable alternative.


After reading that, I knew I could do it.

I got motivated and got my ass in gear. I started investigating what help I could get and where I could find it. I just might have found an angel named Heather. She is a massage therapist at Hands On Massage and Wellness in Poughkeepsie. I could walk to her office from my old house!

I spoke with her at length and we are not sure if she will be using the sports massage or the CORE Myofascial Therapy. I have no idea which will help me and I am putting myself in my angels hands. She will also work to find someone I can go to while in Florida so my recovery will continue while I am there.

Thank you Bobby and thank you Jeff. Your words made such a difference that I could easily cry a different kind of cry.

I am motivated and have a killer cardiovascular system. I will start and complete that sucker!

No comments:

Post a Comment