Sunday, September 19, 2010

I Am A Rock Star!

I am so freakin' proud of myself. I am so amazed at me. I did it!

I know for most people who will be running with me on November 7, finishing a 16 miler is well.... a yawner. It ain't to me.

I am a Rock Star!

I started out at 4:47AM - you gotta love the Nike Sports Watch as it records everything. It seemed really dark. I told my dad I would be to him at around 6:00AM. I really wanted to be halfway done when I got there. I am still not sure about the distances here and I can't really see my watch well. I estimated and when I did get under a street light, I saw that I was on his street too soon.

I was going to go up another street when I saw Amy walking to my folks house. I asked her what time it was and she told me it was 5:51, so I knew I could run up to the end and back and be to him and her at just about 6:00, with about 7.5 miles done.

I had a route mapped out in my head from there on. It was a different route for my dad so I informed him each time I was going to take a street. There is a part of Kings Blvd, right by one of the tee boxes, where the sidewalk disappears and one has to cross the street to pick up the sidewalk. I said "I have to cross the street here." He and Amy were on the street in the golf cart. As I got to the place where I was going to cross in front of them, I got that I was not heard, or not understood. I had to stop or he was going to hit me. That is when Amy got, that she was not a spectator, but my dad's ears.

I felt great the whole way. With about 5 miles left, Amy kept telling me how much further I had left to run. She was assuming I was doing 10 minute miles. I was not sure what my pace was and I thought it was around there some where. Amy was off with her math, so she told me a few times what I had left and I knew she was off. I didn't say anything, I just kept running.

At one point, she figured out she was wrong and corrected herself. I told her "I figured out that I had more than 2 miles left - just tell me I am a Rock Star." A minute later, she told me how many more minutes I had left to go and I said "Just tell me I am a Rock Star."

That is when I really got how proud I am of me. I almost cried about how moved I am by me and how proud I am of me. I also got that when I am moving along, I do not want to know how much further I need to go. I just want to move. Once Amy got that, she just kept telling me I am a Rock Star. The last mile was awesome. I even told a man I passed that I am a Rock Star.

Even walking when I was done with the 16 miles was smooth and fine. My ice bath with 40 pounds of ice was terrific. I have a tiny blister on the bottom of my left foot, right where my orthotic hits. Odd that it would develop now. I will protect that part of my foot from now on.

16.0 miles

2:38:56

9'56" minute miles

Once I get back to New York and start my runs being able to see my watch, I will start monitoring my run/walk thingie so I have something left to finish the marathon.

I AM A ROCK STAR

1 comment: