Monday, September 20, 2010

Amy Goes Home Today

Makes me sad. Back in 1999, I asked Amy if she would be my friend. I am such a better person because she said yes.

Amy has a different body clock than I do. I am up at 5:00AM most mornings and in bed by 9:00PM. Amy got up way too early yesterday so she could support me in my first 16 mile run. It was above and beyond what almost anyone else would do. When she says she is my full partner in a project, she is.

People who 'see us in action' are often confused. Each of the following has happened:

1. We took a college course in golf. The instructor would call me Amy or call Amy Lynn. We just answered him no matter what name he called. Amy hit him in the nuts with her club one week. The next week he was instructing me and said something like "Don't hit me again." I said "That wasn't me, that was Amy." He said "You are both the same - don't hit me."

2. We do a bit of volunteering for Landmark Education. They make it easy for everyone by having each person wear a name tag. One's first name is large and one's last name is smaller on the name tag. Sara came up to me and gave me a report. She said "This is the report you asked for." I said "I didn't ask for a report." She said "Jackie told me you did." I said "Jackie is mistaken." She said "Jackie told me she promised Amy this report by 10:00AM and could I get it to her by then." I pointed to my name tag and said "I am Lynn, Amy is over there." She looked at my name tag and at my face and said "You two confuse me."

3. After having worked with Jocelyn for an entire weekend, Amy and I were talking about putting something on our calendars and Jocelyn got that look of understanding on her face and asked "Are you two in a relationship?" I said "We are - we just don't sleep together."

She is my sister by another mother.

She is where I can always go to be supported and loved and honored and told when I am full of shit. We can fight and cry and make up. I love her and she loves me. No question.

No comments:

Post a Comment