Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Harlem Valley Rail Trail

When I saw My Angel Heather (from here on to be known as MAH), she asked me where I ran. She is from this area and lives just one town over. She asked about it being hilly. I told her for my long runs, I will be going down to Yorktown to use the Rail Trail there. MAH asked if I ever tried the trail in Amenia. I didn't even know there was one!

So, I asked around and discovered that the Millerton entrance to the Rail Trail is closer to me than the Amenia one is. Kevin said it would take 22 minutes to get there (so funny, 22 minutes - what a guy thing). No one else I asked had ever been on the trail, nor had Kevin but he knew it was there.

It took 25 minutes to get there (23 to get home) - so Kevin was pretty close in his estimation.

The trail was perfect! It reminded me of the East Coast 6 Day Site in Rosendale. The weather this morning was very damp and spitty. It smelled like the forest - just like the 6 Day Site did. I was in heaven.

I saw one guy and his 2 dogs. I was all alone on the trail and never felt nervous and anxious. It is a great place to run. There are mile markers and everything!

I did my 6 miles - actually ended up doing 6.2, as the trail started before the first mile marker. I alternated power walking, jogging and running. I felt and still feel great. My average speed was just over 10 minute miles.

I drove the 23 minutes home and immediately started the cold water in the tub. The ice bath was great!

Off to see MAH this afternoon, off tomorrow, fly to Florida on Friday and have every intention of doing my 14 miles on Saturday!

I am back!

Woo Hoo!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment