Tuesday, September 28, 2010

The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

That was pretty much today.

Although, I prefer The Awesome, The Horrible and The Uncomfortable. I always like to end with the good stuff, to leave both me and you in a good place.

So...... Here goes:

The Horrible:

My mom, my dad and I traveled from Sun City Center to my sister's home in Jacksonville to be there for the appointment with the neurologist. It was about a 5 hour trip to get there. Michelle took time off from her job to get us into downtown Jax, to be there for the appointment. It took 3 months to get this appointment and it took me hours and hours fighting with and yelling at my dad's old neurologist to get the records required.

We left Michelle's at 10:00AM to get her at 10:15 and she drove. We got to the doctor's office at 10:50AM. I had all of the forms we needed to fill out done already. I went up to the window. My dad, mom and Michelle sat down.

It went something like this:

Me: My dad is here for his appointment, last name Dering. We have the forms filled out already. There is also a written copy of all the medication he takes and he has the pill bottles with him as well.

Receptionist: Who?

M: Dering

R: hmmmm, let me see (She looks through all of the records standing to her right and looks at me again and says) First name?

M: August

R: Okay - he is not here yet.

M: Yes he is, he came in with me. (I point to him)

R: Okay, thank you.

We wait

We wait

We wait

People come and go

At about 11:30, my dad asks me why we are there. I explain.

We wait

We wait

People come and go

At 11:40 my dad says, I am leaving and not coming back.

I get up and go to the receptionist window.

Me: My dad's appointment was for 11:00AM. People have come and gone and come and gone. When will my dad be taken?

R: He is not here yet.

M: Who is not here yet?

R: Your dad.

M: What? He is - we all came together. I told you he was here with me when I arrived.

R: He didn't sign in.

M: No, No, No. I told you he was here.

R: I'll see what I can do.

I tell my dad - he wants to leave right then. I say - lets wait to see what happens.

5 minutes later, someone calls his name. They say they can see him at 12:15.

My dad stands up and says:

Lynn don't argue with them - I'm leaving. I will not come back - I am leaving.

Michelle and mom get up. Michelle tires to reason with dad. He wants nothing to do with it. He will not do business with an 'outfit' that can't keep things straight.

It was awful. I thought Michelle was going to cry. I could do nothing. Michelle drove us back to her work, no one said a word the whole time. She got out and sorta said a goodbye to the car.

It was horrible.

HORRIBLE

The Uncomfortable:

I get in the driver's seat, to drive back to Sun City Center.

My dad has a bug up his butt about needing gas. I know we have at least a 1/4 tank left and he won't let it go.

We stop for gas.

He admits that there was a 1/3 of a tank left - really big of him (that was not sarcastic - that is big of my dad)

We are all hungry, we stop for lunch.

We have lunch.

I drive.

We hit rain.

We hit more and more rain.

We hit pouring down, 40 mph on I 75 rain.

We hit more rain.

We are stopped by an accident.

More pouring down rain.

Another accident.

More rain.

I got home at 6:30.

If I didn't have to run 8 miles tomorrow morning, I would be halfway to drunk by now.

The Awesome:

I ran with Kyle this morning. Kyle is tall. He also has those cool new shoes that are like running barefoot. Kyle has 35 minutes on his training schedule, which he tells me means 4 miles. I think - that is a bit faster than I run.

We start out - my left quad is talking to me and my right achilles is not too happy. Kyle is setting the pace. I am huffing and puffing. We get about 1/2 mile under our belt and I notice that Kyle is taking 2 strides to my 3. I am not settling in. I tell him I can not keep up that pace for the entire run. He slows down.

At 2 1/2 miles, I am comfortable. We keep moving. I feel good.

He leaves at 4 miles, I continue on for one more mile.

I had my very own PR (Personal Record) today for 5 miles. Not only that - I kept the same pace even through my last mile alone.

5.02 miles

43:51 minutes

8'44"/minute miles

All the way home, I thought I had a PR - but I looked it up and I had a 4 miler at 8'39" but I really need something great to have happened today - so I am going with the PR story.

No comments:

Post a Comment