Sunday, July 11, 2010

Strangers Can Sure Surprise Me

I am in the process of finding a place to stay in NYC the night before the marathon and the night of the marathon. I have to be at Union Station at an ungodly hour on the morning of the marathon. They have to get us all across the Verrazano before they close it. There is no train from Poughtown that will get me into the city in time. I also want to walk around the city all day long on Monday showing off my medal.

So, I have looked into hotels and also renting apartments. There is this website I have used before called HomeAway. I e-mailed close to 20 places asking if their apartment was available for November 6 and 7. In each e-mail, I said that I live in Dutchess county and will be coming to NYC to run in the marathon.

Everyone who has responded has wished me luck in the marathon. Then, I got a response back from someone who said she was not planning on renting her apartment that weekend and shared about running in the half-marathon recently. She said that was no easy feat, so she admired me for doing the full marathon. What with me being an over-sharer and all, I wrote back to her and told her I was running to raise awareness and money for Alzheimer's, as my mom has the disease. She wrote back and wanted to know if I had a website where she could donate. I sent it to her.

Now.... how cool is that?

No comments:

Post a Comment