Monday, July 12, 2010

My Run Today

I ran 3 miles today. My pace was faster - more like 9 1/2 minute miles. I felt really good the whole way. I am starting to think about pace.

I am reading this book - The Non-Runner's Marathon Guide for Women. She is really funny, so I have to wade through the jokes to get to the real advice. She said something about 'conversational pace' - that being the pace at which you know you can run for miles and miles. That pace is one that you could carry on a conversation while running.

My mind says "Who the hell wants to talk while you are running?" I want to train while I am running - not talk. I will talk while taking a walk.

So, I may need to give something up.

Not sure yet, but I do love that I can tell the pace I am running while running. Once I add miles, I will begin to see what pace is good for the long runs. I can then 'push it' on the short runs.

After stretching after my run and icing my achilles, I hardly even know I have one!

2 comments:

  1. I think the idea of a pace where you could talk comfortably is about setting yourself up to be able to go the distance. Or it is about wind and stamina, is another way of thinking about it. If you have enough wind to chat, you'll have enough to go 26 miles. Probably you already got that, but it helped me to say it for myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got it even deeper from reading your interpretation of it.

    Thank you for that.

    ReplyDelete