Friday, July 16, 2010

Dad's Memory

I think I have mentioned that my dad is showing signs of memory issues. I think I have mentioned that his memory issues sometimes causes problems.

The latest problem it caused was financial.

He gets dividend checks however often he gets them. He got the checks earlier in the month and the amount of one was not what he expected. He called the place where the check comes from and they got to the bottom of the problem and told him it was their mistake and they would issue another check.

He decided to wait for the third check to arrive before sending in the two he had.

You guessed it - the third check arrived and he could not find the two others.

He told me about this soon after I arrived. I sleep in the 'computer room', so he asked me if I happened to see two checks 'around'. I did a 10 minute search and found no checks.

Then we were talking about the Run2Remember fundraising and how it was going and how much more I needed to meet my goal. I told him I needed about $1,700 more to get to the $10,000 goal. I told him I wanted to have met the goal by the time the training gets 'hard'. I would like to have only one big thing on my mind then - putting my miles in.

Then he told me that if I found those two checks, he would donate the smaller one to the fund. I said how much is it? He held up two fingers. I laughed and asked "Two dollars?" He said "No, $200."

You guessed it.

I started a search. I thought like a Daddy. I tore that computer room apart. I got down on my hands and knees and looked under things that hadn't been looked under in years. They were not in the computer room.

I moved out into the living room. I looked through the desk in there, I looked through the new computer table. No checks. I looked through the hutch. No checks. I looked through the 'crap' that sits on the top of the table that sits between their two chairs. SCORE!!!!! TWO CHECKS!!!!!

He immediately wrote a check to the Run2Remember Fund for $237.05. Not bad for 45 minutes work on my part.

Less than $1,500 left to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment