Saturday, June 19, 2010

What My Mom Used To Provide

Alzheimer's has affected our family in more than a few ways. I do not think that all families get affected the same way, so I will just share what I see.

My mom is having a hard time figuring out what to wear each day. That usually means that she wears the same outfit for 5 days in a row. My dad has no clue what she wore yesterday, so he has not noticed. Michelle and I notice.

We thought it might be helpful to go through my mom's closet and get rid of clothes she no longer wears and start to make some sense of the chaos that is their closet. I took that on as one of my projects while I am here.

Oh Boy!

Mom was easy - she was willing to get rid of so many things I thought she would resist. Dad on the other had - not so much. Before she got sick, my mom would just get rid of his old stained clothes without even asking him. He never wore stained clothing when we were young. He just didn't have any - she threw them away.

My dad has lost weight since my mom got sick. He was an XXL and is now an XL. He knows this. I went through his dresser and closet. I made sense of everything. His mock neck golf shirts in one place, his polo golf shirts another place. His fun t-shirts in his drawer. I separated the XXLs from the XLs. I thought he would let me donate the XXLs to our next yard sale. I even had a plan on how to get them home without it costing anything (bless you Southwest). Nope - the 37 - no kidding - 37 XXL t-shirts that he no longer wears are folded up and put in drawers in his dresser.

Mom never, ever would have let that happen. Mom today just rolled her eyes and shrugged.

No comments:

Post a Comment