Monday, June 14, 2010

Being Bold

So, I was talking to Alex yesterday. This whole thing about 'being bold' is interesting. He had characterized me as a "pushy New Yorker" for quite a few years. He is from 'da Burgh' (translate that to Pittsburgh) and they just don't do things like New Yorkers do.

Over the past few months, he and I have been working on this thing called 'being bold'. I know that the conversation we have been having has a whole lot to do with the name of my blog and how I am looking at my marathon/fundraising effort.

I have been able to distinguish what I mean when I say "I am being Bold". His partnership in this conversation has moved me along the way. Here is what I have so far:

Being bold is distinct from being aggressive. Aggressiveness includes imposing my point of view or actions on others - like they have to do what I say or I must force them to. Boldness can not be affected by the people around me - it's about me overcoming my fears and taking action - not stopping.

Being bold doesn't even consider being rejected. My invitations to others are made "without consequence,". When my invitation is declined, I can boldly accept it and leave the other person feeling powerful with their choice. I can leave them being bold as well.

There is power in taking on something new (like a marathon or fundraising). There is also a great chance of falling short or failing in keeping a schedule or hearing "No" over and over again. Being bold would entail embracing the failure, learning from it and making a new plan. Maybe failure is not the opposite of success, maybe it is a necessary part of success.

How's this? The opposite of success is doing nothing.

No comments:

Post a Comment