Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Niacin Flush

My mom's doctor put her on Niacin over 6 weeks ago. Yesterday morning she had a niacin flush for the first time. Before she got sick, she would have known what it was or if she didn't, my explanation would have calmed her. She was so upset and agitated and panicked it almost broke my heart. She just kept saying "My skin is on fire from the inside out." As the flush spread from her face on down her body, she just got more and more upset.

She still trusts me enough to allow me to calm her and tell her that it would pass and let me soothe her. By the time she needed to leave for bridge (can you believe she still plays?), the flush was over.

The double edge sword is that she will have no memory of having the flush - that is good because she will not worry about having it again and will continue to take the niacin. It is not good because if she has it again, she will have no memory that it will pass and she will be fine. She will relive the panic again.

I am leaving to go back to New York this morning. She did not flush after her evening niacin and we will see if she does this morning.

On the running front, I ran 3 miles yesterday. Bad Lynnie. I get my new
orthotics on Friday and my achilles feels good. I will not run again until I get them.

2 comments:

  1. That Niaspan flush was The Worst for me. My lips were so swollen they did not meet right. I called a 24-hour nurseline because I thought I was dying. They need another word for it besides Flush - like En Fuego!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mom has not had one since. I am hoping that my dad was right and that maybe he double dosed her with niacin that morning.

    ReplyDelete