Tuesday, June 22, 2010

I Love The Lady Doctor

She is so wonderful and my dad really listens to her and doesn't argue and maybe even will shift his thinking and behavior out of what she says.

I asked her to speak to his belief "Mom isn't trying hard enough to remember." She was awesome and told him that even if she tried, she couldn't. She spoke about how she is during the 'test' she gives mom. One of the parts of the test is for mom to be given three words to remember, then they do something else and then she is asked to repeat those three words. She said mom really tries - even makes up words that might be right, she really wants to get it right, but the truth is, she has no memory of even being given words. It is literally gone - the memory, that is.

Then I told her that dad's memory is going. I gave her some examples and while I was talking, I really got that we have a big problem. He is not remembering things that are important to my mom's care. I cried, which I really hate, and I couldn't seem to stop crying. In fact, I am crying while I type this.

She talked to us both and told dad that they should evaluate him and see where he stands. The best thing would be that his memory problems are not Alzheimer's or dementia but something that can be treated.

They were able to get him in for his first evaluation while I am still here.

I am not being bold, I am afraid.

1 comment:

  1. I think it was bold of you to bring up your dad's situation in front of him. That was risking stuff and you did it.

    ReplyDelete