Monday, May 31, 2010

Parent Care

All of us Dering kids were together over the weekend. Robin and I live in New York state. Michelle in Florida and Gussie in California. I have pretty much been the 'point person', 'sibling on the front line' or whatever we want to call it, regarding the care of my mom and dad. I am able to be in Florida for about half the year. I have put a whole lot of pressure on myself to make sure the parents are okay when I can not be there.

I have pretty much been failing in that task. My dad has been angry, withdrawn and sometimes just plain mean since I came back to New York in April. I have not known what to do or what to ask for from my siblings.

Then, along came Victoria! She is my brother's wife, my sister-in-law. She loves my mom and dad like no one would ever expect someone to love in-laws. She came up with a plan to have all visits on the calendar. She just took over and gave me so much support and freedom that I was sure I wasn't carrying it all on my shoulders.

I may have to come up with a phrase different than The Dering Six.

No comments:

Post a Comment