Thursday, May 20, 2010

My Second First

Last week, I said that I thought I would be having many 'firsts' during this journey I am on to train and run the NYC marathon. The first first was the first time I ever got bitten by a dog. Well...... yesterday...... wait for it.... here it comes.... my second first!


I fell.

That's right, I fell. The 'funny' (not ha ha funny, of course)thing is that I fell during my 1/2 mile warm-up walk to get to where I do my stretching and start my run.

There is a short steep hill that is a one way road to get me to the beginning of Mountain Road. The traffic comes at my back. NO ONE is ever on that road - HA - WRONG.

Things I did that led to my fall:

1. It was cold, so I wore my sweat band over my ears.

2. I was thinking about a conversation I have been having with Amy, Doreen and Alex about my ego rather than paying attention to my warm-up.

3. When I finally heard the vehicle behind me, I moved over into the 'crap' on the side of the road and I kept moving.

4. I stepped on a branch without being certain where the other end of the branch was.

Things that saved me:

1. My darn capris - I love those Danskin capris. No blood on my leg at all.

2. Saying to myself, as I was going down "Don't break your wrist. Don't break your wrist."

3. The driver of the school bus saw me soon enough to totally stop before she came anywhere close to hitting me.

4. My long sleeve Reebok running jacket saved my arm from getting scraped up.

I also appreciate myself for turning around as I was walking home thinking "Lynn, you aren't having any trouble walking - you can run, silly girl." I did run and had my best 3 mile ever.

My left leg is adorned with the dog bite bruise. My right leg is adorned with bruises on my upper outer thigh and scraps on the calf. My left hand has small holes where some pebbles broke the skin and my left elbow is a bit of a mess.

Nothing is broken. I am banged up. I am lucky.

Today is a day off, so I will just be doing a warm-up on the elliptical, upper body weight work and my stretching.

I am getting all of the 'beat up my body' firsts out of the way early.

2 comments:

  1. I am glad you got that fall out of the way early. Now you are safe for weeks.

    I am learning new stuff. I learned not to put the Breathe Right strip too high on my nose, or it's worthless. I learned to stretch my calves before I walk, and I learned to warm up. Something new each time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was talking to Doreen today - she ran in the NYC marathon last year. I realized that because I have never done this before - there is no past for me, no memory of what it was like to compare to or to expect. It is all new - very exciting!

    ReplyDelete