Sunday, May 23, 2010

Structures, Structures and Structures

I am a fan of structures.

I say that if I want something, I figure out a structure that if used, will have me get what I want. Then, I use that structure and get what I want.

I know that it sounds way more simplistic than it really is when life falls in on me. I know that there are times when whatever structure I come up with, even when followed does not give me what I want. There might need to be some tweaking of the structure along the way.

Structure is key.

So, I was talking to Doreen about my bothersome achilles yesterday. I told her my structure - the three times a day stretches. In telling her, I saw a possible flaw in the structure.

How was I going to remember to do the stretches?

The morning one is easy:

- A note on my computer screen - Did you do your strectches?

The after lunch one is the one that has the most opportunity to get away from me. So, I came up with this structure:

- I set my cell phone alarm for 1:00PM. When it goes off, if I have not already done the stretches, I hear the reminder like "Hey, you have to take your medicine!" and I stop what I am doing and do the stretches.

The after dinner one is kinda easy:

- I call my dad at 6:45 every night. The point of that call is to always make sure he and my mom took there evening pills and to see if there is anything new or needed. I will have the stretches done before that call or use that call as a reminder to start the stretches. I might even be able to do them while talking to them.

I will do updates on how my structures are doing - or how I am doing in using the structures and how my tendon is doing.

1 comment:

  1. I hope you can do some of them while watching a little TV, so they are not so boring for you.

    ReplyDelete