Sunday, May 16, 2010

My First First

I know there will be plenty of firsts as I continue this journey. The first time I run 10 miles straight, will be a first. I might have a first time I cry while running. I might have a first time I take an ice bath - my friend Doreen did those during her training last year. So, I am prepared for firsts and will be noting them.

My first first!

I got bit by a dog.

Yes I did.

Mountain Road is a perfect place for me to run. It is a half mile from my house, so I get my muscles warmed up while getting there, there is a perfect spot for me to stretch before starting my run. If I see 3 cars during the 30 minutes I am on the road, that is a lot. It starts out with a slight uphill slope and there is very little sunlight due to the tall forest on both sides of the road. It is 1.5 miles long exactly, so it is an easy 3 mile course.

Years ago my elliptical was broken and while I was waiting to have it fixed I ran outside. There was always a German Shepherd in a pen - it would bark and growl and all, but.... heck it was penned. Then one day, it was not penned. Ooopsie - I was very frightened. I stopped running and tried to make myself very small and protect my hands, face and torso. The dog ran around me and then started heading the direction I had been going. I turned and tried to get away and it came back and circled me. It soon became apparent that it just wanted to run and play with me. So ran we did. Back then, I was doing 6 miles, so it followed me to the end of Mountain Road and then back to the beginning and then we did the entire road again. Then, it followed me home. I was concerned as we have to cross Rte 82. The dog hung out at my house all morning. I finally got in my car and let the dog follow me back to it's home. I left a note, just in case it followed my car home again so they would know where to find their dog.

The dog was never out of it's pen again. My elliptical got fixed and I was no longer running outside.

Until now.

That house, a German Shepherd yesterday.

The owners were outside as well. So, in my mind, playful dog, owners outside, nothing to fear. I just kept my pace. I didn't look at the dog or the owners, thinking it would all be fine. It wasn't. As they yelled the dogs name, it ran up to me and bit me in the back of my left leg.

I yelled some swear word, stopped running and the dog ran away. The male owner came running toward me and asked if I needed him to call 911. I rolled up my capris and saw that the skin had not been broken. There were 2 scrapes, but no puncture. 4 teeth marks were obvious, but no blood. I was shaking and just wanted to flee. I told the owner, no to 911. Then he asked if I needed ice or to come inside or to be driven home or anything. I said no that I thought I was just very frightened. He asked if the dog had bit me or nipped me. I said - it was a bite and I rolled up my capri leg again to show him. It had gotten redder in just that minute or so. It still hurt, but it was not unbearable.

The owner again asked what he could do and I said, I think I just want to finish my run. Then he looked me right in the eye and said "I do not want you to be frightened about running on this road. I promise you he will never be out again." I looked right at him and believed him. I said Thank you.

I finished my run, iced it when I got home and spent the rest of the day watching the bruise get more and more colorful and teeth marks get more red. Still no skin puncture, thank goodness.

Later in the morning, given my quest for the coveted purse, I did 10 minutes on the elliptical to warm up and completed my stretching routine.

Did you notice my countdown to the coveted purse being mine?

3 comments:

  1. Yikes, Lynn! I'm glad the bite wasn't worse, but that's just creepy. Don't make yourself small, though. Make yourself ignorable or impregnable.
    Like I know how to do that...

    Oh, and you rock!

    Kim, the Beebs

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is what I mean by strong but not always tough. Way to go you, and a small WTG to the dog owner for being responsible and proactive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks you two! I am buying me some dog mace. I don't want to hurt the dogs and I don't want to get bit again.

    ReplyDelete