Monday, November 15, 2010

You Were Worried About What?

Somewhere in Brooklyn, one of the drunken house parties was all decked out with NY Giants gear. I am a Steeler fan (minus the Big Ben fan part) but I do appreciate die hard fans of any team.

As we are running by that house, Danielle yells out "Go Giants!"

My heart goes into my throat as I realize......... I did not make my Pigskin Pool picks.

When I first let Alex into my life, I knew crap about football. I knew the rules and I knew how it was played and I knew stuff, but I knew crap. He slowly taught me about the NFL. He slowly taught me about playing on the road, about the kind of offense teams have and how they gets smashed by 'bad' teams who have a certain kind of defense.

Who Wants to be a Millionaire had a message board provided by ABC when the show was in it's prime. I started posting on it when I said "I am going to be on WWTBAM". The board got cancelled by ABC and the Board moved around the internet over the years and is now privately managed.

We have a pigskin pool each year. I have become a contender over the years.

The week before the marathon, I took second place.

A zero for this week would ruin the entire season.

Here I am, running in the marathon, obsessed with not having made my picks. I can't let it go.

Then, I start thinking (as I am apt to do) "What can I do?"

I came up with an answer!

I would be seeing Alex at some point before 1:00PM (the picks had to be done before kick-off). He knows enough of my screen names and he knows a couple of my passwords and one of the ones he knows is the one I use on ESPN - so I knew he could fix it for me.

Sure enough, somewhere in Brooklyn, there was Doreen and Alex. I saw them just as I was passing them, so I turned around, ran back and looked him in the eye. I said "I forgot to make my Pigskin picks. Can you fix it for me?" Then I took off to catch up with Danielle.

The thought was gone.

He did not produce the result, I went from 2nd to 12th, but the result of the day was to have that off my mind and that worked.

No comments:

Post a Comment