Friday, November 12, 2010

The Start

Liam and Addie and I happened to find more of the R2R team as we inched toward our corral. Not having trained with the team, many of them were only known to me through photos and the pasta dinner.

I knew Addie was starting injured, just like me, so I thought maybe she and I would run together. Danielle started talking to us and it seemed like me might be a trio.

As we walked toward the starting, I kept telling Addie and Danielle to watch the ground as we started. Many runners start the race wearing their warmer gear and just dump it on the bridge. If you don't pay attention, you can get your feet caught in the sweatshirts or garbage bags on the ground.

We stopped walking at some point and a man started talking to us on a loud speaker. Then some fellow started singing God Bless America and we all sang along. It was probably the best thing that could have happened for me. I was caught up in the song. I was not thinking about running for the next 5 hours.

Then, the cannon went off and people in front of me started moving and so did I.

Addie was just slightly behind me and Danielle was right next to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment